When moving into a new home there are often lots of D>I>Y work to be done. Some of it can be an emergency. I moved to my present home in 2003, a converted flat in a 1876 Victorian house. All the original features were insitu and it is always sad when you have to replace them, to modernise or as in this case a necessity.
I was lucky to get a Council Grant for the work as the window frame was rotting. Still it had had a good life when you think it had been there since 1876.
Written November 2005 – Edited 2013
Torrential rain had been on the cards over the past few weeks. D-Day had arrived and to my delight found the day dry but cold. My prayers had been answered.
Within the hour curtains were taken down; I had washed and dressed; Spotty and I had eaten breakfast. The excitement of having the dream of patio doors would soon be reality.
I had applied for a grant from the council as the present original Bay Window showed signs of rotting wood. Time had caught up as this window had been in since 1876
Punctually at nine am the two workmen arrived. They introduced themselves as Terry, the senior and Liam his young assistant
Having looked at the work to be done we all decided on a cup of tea prior to commencing. This gave them time to work out their method of how to remove the window and for us all to get to know each other.
The conversation went like this
‘How long did they tell you?’
‘Oh only a day, but common sense tells you it would take longer.’
‘Mm I agree. It will take at least a couple of days. Lot of work here.’
The work began as hammering and gently easing out the 1876 frames. It was sad to see it go but the wood on the outside was rotting and thus needed to be replaced.
The discovery of the old iron poles that had hung the window sashes were moved and I very discreetly put them in my shed when the boys were not looking. They could be of some value or just plain sentimental. Who knows?
Every now and then I would pop in to see how they were getting on. One mis-hap in the morning was they broke my mug. Their next cuppa was produced in a mug of no value.
Whilst all the work was going on I sorted out the kitchen cupboards, throwing out unwanted items and washing the areas.
At mid-day the window was out, giving the room a feeling of much space.
Relaxing, watching TV and having my snack I was interrupted by an almighty Crash, Thud.
‘Oh my God, it’s the ceiling’
I jumped up, rushed to the bedroom, found Liam lying prone on the floor and the ceiling had caved in. Luckily Liam sustained a slight cut on his forehead but he needed a lot of re-assurance as I applied first-aid.
Another cup of tea was had by us all after this small incident.
The rest of the afternoon the boys put in the new window but the finishing off would be completed Friday. I spent time on the computer editing some work for a friend work.
The boys arrived back on Friday and spent all morning doing the finishing touches.
Past couple of days I spent sleeping in the lounge.
Saturday I bought a new outside mat and mop and bucket. I washed the Patio and put my flower pots, chairs and table insitu. Hovered the room and put things where I wanted them. The next step would be waiting for the roof & ceiling to be done. It was an insurance job for the ceiling
Monday morning Richard, from a couple of doors up, came to start on re-doing the roof. Tuesday morning the insurance man arrived and I was elated to be told that the ceiling would be covered by the insurance. AND the whole room would be decorated, including the ceilings!
Roof work continued today and I’ve been left with the smell from stuff put on roof. Wow, can get ‘high’ on this.
Tomorrow, completion of roof. Next step, the room.
During this time I’m sleeping in the lounge but who cares, it’s nice and cosy with Spotty in her basket and very cold outside.
It’s lovely to walk out and hang washing out on top patio with out going all the way round. To sit with door open and savour the delights of nature at its best.
I have sat outside, it’s a sheltered spot, and watched the birds in the Camellia tree.